Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Grenfell ... Part 5 Continues...

Beneath the front room in the basement sanctuary, Dustin stifled a laugh. Adam was also trying to stifle a laugh. Galen’s direct statement telling the Stephen the magistrate what to do was humorous to say the least. They could barely hear them closing out the brief meeting above them. Adam reached for the pole to close the listening vent.

It was not very long before Galen and Draven came down the stairs to rejoin Adam and Dustin. The look of relief on their faces was priceless. Although the meeting had been brief; dealing with Stephen’s stubbornness was taxing.

“Well that was far from fun” Draven stated.

“Politics are not my forte” Galen said. “So have you and Dustin thought about where to go next?”

“There have been rumours of bandits in Rosh” Adam began. “Drake, our messenger from Rosh has told me of some shady activities going on in the village. I think that would be a good place to start.”

“Rosh, that’s about two days away isn’t it?” Galen asked.

“Yes,” Adam began. “It is in the opposite direction of Colodia. I met up with Drake a few weeks before going to Macote. He told me that there were quite a few bandits in the town. I think that Rosh would be the best place to start looking for some assassins.”

“So when will you be leaving for Rosh?” Draven asked.

“Dustin and I will be leaving in the morning at first light.” Adam said. “The trip will be long so we will have to send Sven into the market to pick up some supplies for us. But in the mean time, Dustin, I want you to accompany me into our armoury. That sword your carrying does not look like it suits you. We have many different types of swords, no battle axes though.”

“Sounds good to me” Dustin replied.

Adam led Dustin up the stairs and into the back room of the Messenger’s Guild. Inside were more stairs that led up to the second floor of the building.

“We have many different types of weapons here” Adam said. “You will need a strong one if you are to go with me to find an assassin. We have to try and stop this war before it begins, the loss of life will be too great this time. The last war lasted ten years and many innocents were killed. We cannot afford to lose any innocents this time.”

The room was dimly lit. Swords were hanging on most of the walls accompanied by a few different staffs. Dustin had never used a staff before, but he still was prone to using his axe. A broad sword caught his eye as he was looking around. Walking over to it he could tell that it was no ordinary broad sword. The hilt was adorned with sapphires and they reflected the light from the candle lit room in a fashion that made it very appealing. Dustin walked over to where the sword was hanging on the wall and picked up; he tried to get a feel for the weight of the sword in his hands.

“An excellent choice” Adam said. “But please take your time while choosing your weapon. A messenger’s weapon is just as important as the message he brings. There is no replacement for the proper weapon to protect you.”

“I really do like this sword” Dustin said. “I’m not sure if it would be the perfect weapon for me. I really am used to the axe I carry with me; I have been practising with the sword that Draven gave me in Norfolk I am just not sure I am ready to give up my axe.”

“We will have plenty of time for practising on the path to Rosh” Adam said. “Does the sword feel good in your hands?”

“I thought it would be heavier” Dustin exclaimed. He brought the sword to an attack position, lifted over his head. The room was too small to swing the sword; he would have to wait until he was outside to do that. “I don’t have that much experience with swords; I’m more comfortable with my axe. I hope you will give me a few tips on the road to Rosh.”

“Not a problem” Adam said. “Will you be using that sword?”

“I think so.”

“Good, now let’s see what we can do about your armour.” Adam said pointing in the direction of the plate mail that was hanging on the wall.

“I thought this was the best armour I could find” Dustin said. “It cost me more gold than I was willing to pay for it.”

“It’s good armour, but if we are to be going into a den of thieves you will need something with more protection.” Adam exclaimed. “This one over here has stronger metal than what you are carrying. You will also need some ring mail to add to the strength of the armour.”

Dustin tried on many different types of armour that were all much stronger against attacks than his own armour. Eventually he settled on some plate mail that had a red hue to it. Adam explained to him that it was the alloys employed in the making of the metal that gave it a red hue to it and not blood stains. All of the armour in the armoury was unused and crafted by the most skilled armourers in the land.

“Good” Adam said, “Now that you are prepared we will wait for Sven to come back with our supplies and we will be off to Rosh.”

Come back this weekend for the beginning of Chapter 6

No comments:

Post a Comment